Growing up, my Grandma Lilly always (ALWAYS) had a container of her health salad in the fridge. And because she grew up during the Great Depression, that container was usually a re-purposed Country Crock tub. I love her health salad. It has great crunch and goes well with most main courses. It’s also an easy way to have vegetables around for lunches if you are working from home. This will last about a week in your fridge (it’s basically quick pickled veggies).
- 1 medium head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 Tb. kosher salt
- 1/2 pound carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 green peppers, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (like grapeseed or canola)
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 2 Tb. white sugar
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Put cabbage in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Add the other veggies and stir.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Combine the other ingredients and then add to the veggies.
- Stir to make sure the dressing is evenly distributed, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before eating.
Amount Per Serving Calories 114Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1600mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 1g