We try to make beans one of our weekly dinners every week, and our favorite bean dish by far is Greens & Beans with Fried Bread from Bon Appétit. It is crazy fast and easy, especially if you use canned beans, though I usually just quickly cook up 1/2 pound of dried beans in my Instant Pot.
We always eat black eyed peas on New Year’s Day for good luck and yesterday was no exception. None of the places where I get my produce had collards this week, but I did find some really pretty Lacinato Kale, so I figured I’d serve that alongside. Since the beans had their own recipe (I have made Frugal Gourmet’s Hoppin’ John every year since the late 90s), I figured I’d try making just the kale part of the Greens & Beans combo, and OMG it was amazing. Definitely try the original recipe, but if you just need a tasty way to cook up kale (or chard, or mustard greens, or collards), give this a shot!
- 1 -2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 2 bunches kale or other hearty green, ribs and stems removed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the first five ingredients in a large skillet along with 1/4 cup of water. Bring it to a boil.
- Add the greens and cover. Let cook for four minutes.
- Add the olive oil and cook for an additional two minutes.
If you hate cleaning greens, you could definitely substitute two pre-washed bags of greens from the market. Trader Joe's has a southern greens blend that would be perfect.
Amount Per Serving Calories 219Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 9mgSodium 325mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 4g